The Alpine Space (AS) Programme is the EU transnational cooperation programme for the Alps. Partners from the seven Alpine countries work together to promote regional development in a sustainable way.
During the period 2007-2013, the programme has invested 130 Mio. € in impact-oriented projects in which key actors have developed shared solutions on specific Alpine issues. The global and specific objectives of the Programme will be pursued through different Priority axes, which contribute differently to the specific programme objectives:
Priority 1 - Competitiveness and Attractiveness: the Alpine Space is considered as one of the most attractive areas for living, working and recreating throughout Europe. However, some geographic and economic preconditions are less advantageous if compared to those of other European regions.
Priority 2 - Accessibility and Connectivity: the Alpine Space is a transit area in a sensitive environment that, by its geographical features, causes special constraints as regards accessibility to transport and knowledge infrastructures.
Priority 3 - Environment and Risk Prevention: the richness of natural and cultural assets through the Alpine Space constitutes an important heritage as well as a resource which shall be both: used sustainably and protected. Water resources and renewable energies are important economic factors that have to be wisely managed to safeguard sustainable development.
The Alpine Space Programme 2007-2013 aims to increase competitiveness and attractiveness of the cooperation area by developing joint actions in fields where transnational cooperation is required for sustainable solutions.
This overall objective is achieved by:
- encouraging innovation, entrepreneurship and strengthening research and innovation capacities for SMEs;
- enhancing a balanced territorial development to make the Alpine Space an attractive place to live, work and invest;
- improving accessibility of the Alpine Space and managing economical and environmental consequences of transport systems;
- improving accessibility to services and connectivity within the Alpine Space;
- protecting, managing and enhancing natural and cultural assets for sustainable development;
- preventing and mitigating natural and technological hazards and managing their consequences, with specific regard to climate change impacts.
All these specific objectives are pursued and achieved according to the Priority Axis above mentioned above.
For further information, please visit: http://www.alpine-space.eu/home/